Since 2003, the internet home of "the old neighborhood" - Stratton Park , Bronx NY  




John Stratton O'Leary was born in Kenmare, County Kerry, Ireland in the year 1865. He arrived in this country as a 14 year old in the year 1879. He became one of "Teddy's Boys" when he was appointed to the New York Police Department by Theodore Roosevelt in 1895 , and was eventually assigned to the old 36th Precinct.

He left the police department to enter the building industry, forming the Glengariff Construction Company. It was this company that would build all the buildings that were to become the heart of the community that would be name after him (his middle name), Stratton Park. Construction started around December of 1926 and lasted until September, 1930. He had a few other companies also involved is the area, O'Leary Estates Inc. and the Ardea Realty Corp.

As for his personal life, in 1905 he married an New York born girl by the name of Sarah Donohue. She was the daughter of Jeffrey and Mary Kelly Donohue. She was also a cousin of Big Tim Sullivan, the East Side Democratic leader and a big wig in Tammany Hall. John O'Leary was very active in the community. He had been president of the Bronx Eye and Ear Hospital as well as the Bronx Grand Jurors Association. He was vice president of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, the Roman Catholic Archdiocesan Holy Name Union. He was an executive member of the Bronx Board of Trade. He was also a member of the Rotary and Bunker Hill Clubs, the Elks and Knights of Columbus. He was also vice president of the Alliance of Bronx Taxpayers.


Established in 2003, This page is a monument to a little spot in the Bronx called Stratton Park. Once the name of a thriving community, it describes a part of the Bronx situated between White Plains Road to the Bronx River Parkway, East Tremont Avenue and the Cross Bronx Expressway. The neighborhood was named for a real estate developer, John Stratton O'Leary, who starting in 1926 built blocks of apartment buildings that would become the heart of Stratton Park. His buildings were also known un-officially as the O'Leary Flats. The Purpose of this web site is to remember Stratton Park and to pay tribute to John O'Leary and the many others that made it a great place to live, work and play. Please visit our Message Board to see what other have said and perhaps add your own remembrances and facts.